CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, November 22, 2009

How could someone do such a thing!!!

Ok- get ready for a story that will make you want to drive up to Lubbock and regulate yourself!

So Friday was my birthday- thank you to all who wished me well (I will be returning phone calls soon) and on my way home from work, I called Chase to see what time we were going to dinner. When he answers the phone, he sounds ultra depressed...
Chase said something was wrong with Toby and he wasn't moving.
Being the over-protective "mom" that I am, I rush home to find Toby laying on the floor, looking miserable. He looked about 5 lbs lighter and didn't even jump up to greet me like he usually does... he actually couldn't even get up.

Chase and I though he must have ate something earlier in the day and he was felling a little icky, so we let him sleep on the couch while we went out.

When we got home later that night, there was still no change- except he was starting to throw up now (sorry for the visual... but more sorry for my carpet).

We cleaned up the carpet (looks like new now) and put Toby to bed, praying he would be better by morning.

No such luck. When I went to get Toby in the laundry room, he had been sick all night and was still throwing up. Blah!

I decided to take him to the vet, while Chase studied for his test tomorrow. At this point, Toby hadn't had anything to eat in more than 24 hours and was starting to get weak and shake- my heart was just breaking for the little guy.

When we finally get to the vet, he decides to take an x-ray of Toby and later tells me Toby has been shot in the side.

And I lose it- I'm mad, confused, sad, frustrated and ready to go hurt whoever decided my sweet Toby needed to be shot. We had noticed a cut on Toby's side the day before, but the hair was matted down and you couldn't see below it. The vet shaved his hair off and showed me the perfect hole- he thinks it was a pellet gun.

By this point, I can barely breathe and stay focused enough on what he is saying. The vet tells me it might have perforated his intestines and he doesn't think he will be able to find the bullet even in surgery. We decide to put him on some antibiotics for pain because we think he's really just in too much pain to function.

We leave the vet, a few pretty pennies later, and I try to drive home amongst all the tears to tell Chase the news. At this point, I've decided either Toby is going to have to live with the bullet in him pain free, or we are going to have to put him down-- but I really did not want that to be an option.

Chase was way more mad than upset and immediately called the cops to report what happened and hopefully we can find who wants to kill our dog- I mean yeah he barks, but only when he feels threatened and only during the day. I mean, if you are going to stay home all day and don't like to hear dogs bark, then move out to the country. Geez! Every person on our street has a dog that barks occasionally, but I don't see anyone going around shooting them...

To make a long story short, today is new day and I think Toby is going to make it. We prayed a whole lot yesterday and he woke up this morning and decided to eat a little and play with his toys! He won't leave my side and his tail is wagging much more today!

Toby's wound and Tess trying to protect him.



So, please keep him in your prayers- he's like a child to me and I would be devastated if I had to put him down.

Oh... anyone have some good ideas on what we should do in retaliation?

Other good news.... THE KITCHEN REMODEL IS FINISHED!!!!!!
Here are some before and after pics!

BEFORE:



AFTER

7 comments:

The Fletchers said...

Poor Toby!!! When you find that stupid who shot him give him a kick for me!!! Thank goodness he has such a sweet sister like Tess to protect him! :)

P.S. Your kitchen looks AWESOME!!!! Just in time to put some Christmas towels and candles up!!! YEAH!!!!

Love and miss you LOTS!

mark and elizabeth said...

1. your kitchen looks AMAZING!!! i can't wait to see it in person one of these days.

2. Gunner got shot with a pellet gun too a few years ago, when we were in college. it was soooooo sad. I seriously know exactly what you're feeling. We never found out who did it either. who would do that?! I mean, seriously! They never found the bullet in Gunner either. It did take a while for him to heal and get his strength back... but after a while he was back to his crazy self :) so, take heart.... i know tobs will be ok!

Unknown said...

ooooohh that makes me SO MAD! Poor Toby. :( Did you find out who did it? Shoot em back! haha...but seriously. Shoot them.

YOUR KITCHEN LOOKS AMAZING!!! Way to go girl!

And also, I can't remember if I told you Happy Birthday!!! I don't think i did which really makes me mad at myself because I knew it was your birthday. Preston and I discussed it. And I remember picking up my phone but I don't ever remember making the call! RUDE! So sorry, I love you and hope you had a happy birthday. You're at work right now so I won't call but know that I love you!

Unknown said...

UGGGH!! When I got your text I was SOOOOO Sad! Why would someone do that? You should put up a camera in the back yard and when you find out who it is go shoot them in the middle of the day with a pellet gun!!!

P.S. Kitchen. AMAZING!

Danielle said...

I can't believe what happend to mr.Toby!!! It is soo hard to make those decision to your "child" I know you guys are wonderful parents to him. We will keep him our prayers and thoughts as he heals. PS kick that stupid jerk hard...real hard.
YEAH for the countertops finally!!!! looks great.

Ms. Karla said...

Taryn! I am so sorry about your doggy! I am glad that he is doing better. Your kitchen looks beautiful! How did you do the cabinets? Have a Merry Christmas!

Life as a Spencer! said...

Oh my goodness...that is so sad. We recently lost one of our dogs and I didn't realize how much it would effect us. Without kids...dogs are our babies. I hope he feels better soon!